Friday, January 20, 2006

Avoiding Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Deployment Pitfalls

January has not been a good month for blogging. It seems the reality of coming back to work has taken over my time a bit. Plus I am currently training for a Mountain bike race in March. I came across this interesting installation guide on installing SQL Server 2005. It’s worth a read if you have not installed SQL 2005 before.

Check out: Avoiding Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Deployment Pitfalls

It raises an interesting point, what is the minimum spec to locally develop SQL 2005 applications on. Currently I am running a HP nc6000 with 2 Gig of Ram. It’s the minimum I would recommend to anyone starting development on a laptop.

Any one looking at serious development should always have a development server. A basic development server I would start with a 2 way dual core 64x with 4 Gig minimum. Of course you will still need to size your dev server based on project requirements.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to know you're currently training for a Mountain bike race in March. I am an avid cyclist commuting year round for the past 8 years.

Keep up the great blogging and fun biking;-)

Myles Matheson said...

Thanks Anonymous,

The Race I am doing is the Colville connection. A 44km ride round the Coromandel Peninsula in New Zealand.

It’s my first real long ride as most rides I do are about 12-15 km when I mountain bike.

Check out the race details at: http://www.colvilleconnection.co.nz/details.html#44km